Thursday, June 25, 2015

Time and Urgency


How do we spend our lives?  How do we use the time we have each day?  Do we expend our energy for learning?  Are we aware of time that has been virtually lost?  Of most importance, do we seek God’s direction?  Do we set aside the time we should to read God’s word and pray?   

Some years ago I took a required class which had to do with time management. In this class we studied the book written by the late Stephen Covey entitled "First Things First." In the book Dr. Covey described "Urgency Addiction." He defined it as "a self-destructive behavior that temporarily fills the void created by unmet needs" (Covey, 1994, p. 35). I have considered this point from time to time as I acknowledge my own particular urgency problem. The thing that I have noticed is that my day tends to present with more difficulty when I neglect scripture reading (or listening) and prayer. And so, here is a great need I have and I recognize that it cannot be fulfilled in any other way. There is nothing and no one in the world other than God who can fill that spiritual need that provides strength for the physical as well. 


I enjoy watching a television program on TCT called "Ancient Jewish Wisdom" hosted by Rabbi Lapin and his wife. In May, the Rabbi spoke about our "model of reality." He said that "if you shape your model of reality on the Bible, you are miles ahead of others." The truth of that point is striking! It fits in perfectly as we consider the question of time management.


I like the way the Bible describes God's perception of time: "Do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day" (NIV, 2 Peter 3:8). In a very interesting way I was recently reminded of that verse. I was one day standing outside of the checkout aisle at a store waiting for someone. As I waited, a man I did not know approached me and asked me if I knew the time. Reaching into my pocket I flipped open my cell phone and gave him the time. He said, "You know, those are nice. I should get one because you can make a call and read the time." He then paused and looked at me and said, "But you know, I've always found that God's time is perfect."  


What a wonderful thought! 


For those interested in reading some of Rabbi Lapin's commentaries and books, please visit his website: www.rabbidaniellapin.com


1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie, thank you for continuing to read my sporadic blog posts. Your comments always seem to come when I am feeling low. God works so effectively in our lives, doesn't He? I hope you are doing well as the year winds down. Enjoy the Christmas and New Year's seasons! And, as always, thank you for taking the time to encourage me.

    ReplyDelete